Master of Strategic Design Labs
Masters of Design and Innovation - 1 year
- Type of course : Masters of Design and Innovation
- Language : English
- School: Management
- Start date: January 2020
- Duration: 1 year
- Timetable : Morning-Afternoon
- Attendance: in-person
- Qualification: Private At the end of the course, students will receive a private diploma attesting to their satisfactory completion of the course
- Directed to : Professionals related to the field of design, in the broadest sense of the term, with previous studies or professional experience in the area. It is also geared towards people with proven experience in related areas. This Master is a multidisciplinary and international program, on the frontier between design and business management.
- Admission process : To access this program, students will be selected based on: • Updated curriculum vitae. • Certificate of studies (scanned original document). • Work portfolio (if you have one). • Motivation letter, explaining your interest in this programme. • It is essential to have medium-high oral and written level in English. • Interview in person, by telephone or via Skype.
ENTREPENEURSHIP, DESIGN AND INNOVATION - Transform visionary ideas into innovative projects and business opportunities
The Master of Strategic Design Labs trains professionals who can transform visionary ideas into projects and business opportunities.
Students will learn how to develop a business model taking into account the involvement of customers and the market, information and communication technologies and sustainability.
During the course, the students will acquire the tools to listen to the customer, design solutions and deliver products and services that can make an impact on society.
What is the Master of Strategic Design Labs?
During the master, favourable conditions are established over a year of learning and experience, to achieve the following objectives:
- The current landscape is full of opportunities for those who possess the new values "‹"‹that society needs. Among them, it is worth noting innovation as a global value and a new way of working, seeing, approaching problems and solutions that we could describe as transverse knowledge.
- Design has the potential to generate a new context in which to create value and new business models where the essential tool for success is innovation.
- There is no one way to innovate, and there are many contexts that require different approaches and methods. This is why the Master of Strategic Design Labs fosters curiosity and creativity in students so that they can find the right path towards innovation.
• Unify the business and creative visions.
• Manage and coordinate multidisciplinary teams.
• Reinforce designers’ identity as creative professionals.
• Construct trends maps with a business vision.
• Anticipate and interpret future scenarios.
• Establish personal contacts with various professionals.
• Conceptualize, develop and communicate innovative ideas.
The contents covered in the course are organized into modules:
• Foundation (critical historical analysis, methodology, sustainability, visual communication...)
• Specific (User Experience, financial, marketing and SEO, product launch process, Open Innovation, New Technology in Business Projects, start-up strategies, social entrepreneurship, digital platforms, content marketing strategies, global trends, start-up projects)
• Transverse (design culture, applied creativity, team building, design research, design thinking, job placement…)
• Thesis / research project (concept, idea, development, production, prototyping, display...)
Why study the Master of Strategic Design Labs?
• Because we learn by doing: only then is it possible to really learn.
• Because we foster research and delve into the boundary between design, strategy and communication.
• Because the multicultural environment between students and professionals from different places enriches their personal experience.
• Because we offer the chance to network with companies and professionals of national and international renown.
• Because the programme is based on an innovative and transverse learning methodology.
• Because travel and visits enrich the knowledge areas.
• Because the cultural activity during the course is intense and helps to complement the experience.
• Because it takes place in Madrid, a European capital that is home to major institutions and companies, with intense cultural activity and highly accessible and multicultural.
How do students learn in the Master of Strategic Design Labs?
Project culture is the basis of the work dynamic and students learn by conceptualizing, developing, producing and communicating.
The course is methodologically developed on the basis of:
• Creative workshops
• Activities and workshops during international trips to institutions, firms and companies. Previous editions have included visits to such diverse destinations as San Francisco, Silicon Valley, China, Milan, London, Denmark, Portugal, Barcelona and Paris-Boisbuchet.
• Seminars and lectures
• Case Studies
• Activities and cultural events
• Tutorials for the development of specific projects
• Thesis research carried out throughout the master's program
At whom is the Master of Strategic Design Labs aimed?
Professionals from the realm of design, in its broadest sense, who have been trained or have extensive experience in this area. It is also aimed at those with proven experience in related areas. This programme has been devised with a multidisciplinary and international approach, set in the border between design and production.
Objectives of the Masters of Design and Innovation
Objectives of the Master of Strategic Design Labs
- Train agents capable of leading change
- Develop critical thinking
- Learn to coordinate and work in a team
- Develop their own talents and those of their co-workers
- Be able to take professional responsibility and integrate environmental and social matters in their planning processes
- Be able to adapt to changes and to the evolution of new needs and new media
- Master project methodology and propose strategies and innovative solutions to problems in a range of spheres of action
- Define a corporate vision in which creativity, innovation, design, sustainability and technology are integrated
- Incorporate a holistic and systemic dimension to their professional development
- Strengthen their identity as professionals, entrepreneurs and leaders of innovative teams
- Define strategies to generate differential value in products, services and projects.
- Research, conceptualise, develop, implement and communicate an innovative idea
- Have a global and local view of the context in which they conduct their professional activity
- To develop creative and innovative skills
- To understand a view of design as a strategic factor within an organization
- To activate critical and analytical thinking in social and business reality
- To predict and interpret trends and future scenarios
The program includes a comprehensive curriculum with topics and examples where students will have the opportunity to discover a complete, professional and multidisciplinary vision of the sector. It is divided into contents that correspond to the skills each student will have acquired once the course has been completed.
Why do we travel?
- Emergent trends
- Digital and communication tools
The trips that students take as part of the Masters of Design of Innovation are more than just that. They are experiences that go beyond, creating key moments for learning and personal growth. These trips have the power to change students’ perception of design and innovation, providing them with opportunities to establish connections with the professional world and carrying out projects on the other side of the world.
The students will first take a trip around Europe. This will situate them in the midst of the professional context of their speciality, and will give them the chance to get closer to important agencies and design studios, with workshops at prestigious companies, sharing experiences with true gurus of design, visiting large factories and keeping up with trends in the most innovative destinations for each discipline.
Later, they will have the chance to take an intercontinental trip and take part in a range of projects with institutions from all over the world. Students themselves will choose which project they want to develop, depending on their interests, motivations within design and the subject matter chosen for their personal thesis. Designing, executing and communicating is more effective when it is carried out through a real and specific project. Additionally, these include a social aspect, full of sustainability values, befitting the needs of society today. One of the main characteristics will be the multi-disciplinary nature of the trip, which will be taken by students of the three master courses: a combination of talents to carry out social innovation projects which generate a positive impact in their realm of action.
In the last edition of the Master of Strategic Design Labs students visited destinations such as Copenhagen, Colombia, India or South Africa.
- Director of Marketing
- Executive at R & D + i departments
- Design Manager
- Project Manager
- Product Manager
- Brand Manager
- Retail Manager
- Innovation Manager
- Creativity Consultant
- Product and Systems Innovation Consultant
- ICT and Design Consultant
- Design Research
- Idea generation
- Business design
- Communication strategy
- Agile management
- Lean start-up
- Community and user innovation
- Digital platform
- Business plan
- Implementation & Communication
- Growth Hacking
- Legal matters
- Mapping for sustainability
- Sustainability framework
- Design principles
- Design for social innovation
- Base of The Pyramid
- Intercontinental trip
Digital & Communication Tools
- Future scenarios
- Technology awareness
- European trip
- Internet of Things
- Open business models
- Innovation models
- New economies
- Case Studies
- Oral presentation techniques
- Photography techniques
- Video editing
- Information design
Centuries of shared influences have marked the historical and cultural relations between Italy and Spain
- Team building
- Create your profile
We can remember the Spanish domination over Milan, lasted almost two centuries, and that in southern Italy. In a way, the decision that Spain would be the first country outside Italy to host IED campuses came quite naturally. In this city, one of the most important in the world and a crossroads of European and Latin American cultures, IED develops its teaching in design in its traditional areas (Design, Fashion, the Visual Arts and Communication), while also implementing innovative areas to train professionals capable of designing interactions, services and systems that put the focus on the individual.