BTK Hochschule für Gestaltung
As a state-accredited University of Applied Sciences, we offer a hands-on, international, and personal program of studies. BTK has three campuses – Hamburg, Iserlohn, and Berlin – and six bachelor’s degree programs in Communication Design (English), Photography (English), Illustration, Motion Design, Game Design, and Interaction Design/New Media, as well as one master’s degree program in Media Spaces (English). The creative minds of tomorrow study at BTK.
What We Believe In
The digitalization of media has radically changed the demands made of a designer over the past years. Today, designers cross the borders of art, design, and technology – in a multidisciplinary way and internationally. We believe in a cross-media design program. At BTK, you will learn to think in an analytical way with a focus on design and business – enabling you to develop your personal creativity across many disciplines and through a hands-on approach.
Our Design majors are Communication Design (English & German), Photography (English & German), Illustration (German), Motion Design (German), Game Design (German), and Interaction Design/New Media (German). After seven semesters, you can gain an officially recognized Bachelor of Arts degree. Additionally, BTK offers a three-semester master’s degree program in Media Spaces (English).
Vibrant metropolis: The BTK campus in Berlin is located directly in the heart of Germany’s capital. Berlin is one of the most fascinating and exciting cities for design, art, and culture worldwide – and at BTK, you’ll be surrounded by it all.
The No. 1 media city: The brand-new BTK campus in Hamburg is in the middle of Altona’s creative scene and just a few jumps away from the Elbe’s riverside beach. The striking historical building boasts cutting-edge technology and is conveniently located directly at Altona’s main train station.
Living and learning: The BTK campus in Iserlohn is surrounded by luscious green landscapes, located directly at the Seilersee. Thanks to the university’s own apartments, the campus offers short distances between the school and recreational activities, and a very personal, student-focused atmosphere similar to life known at high schools in the USA.
As a private University of Applied Sciences, BTK provides the latest and comprehensive media technology for modern and successful studies in Design:
Why We Are More Hands-on
- Macs and photographic equipment can be borrowed
- Mac pools
- Animation, green screen, and photo studios
- Motion design lab
- Print/scan studio
- 3D laboratory
- BLiZ lab
- Dark room
- Editing room
- Sound lab
Your studies at BTK offer everything you could need for a successful start in the creative industries:
Why We Like the Basics
- More competence: Our professors are excellent professionals in their field.
- From real life, for real life: Most of our professors also actually work in the creative industries.
- Small groups: You’ll learn intensively and personally thanks to small classes and seminar groups.
- Career: You’ll make a good impression on future employers. After all, thanks to the experiences you’ve gained during your internship semester, you know the procedures within the working world.
- Collaborations: We lead frequent competitions with renowned companies and institutions to give you real-life conditions for testing whether your idea, budget, and time management are on-target.
- Praise: Numerous awards prove that BTK’s special program concept is on the right track. And what’s even more important to us: Lots of successful graduates.
Particularly for careers that are continuously changing and developing, it is essential that you master the basics. That’s why we teach you the basics “from the bottom up”:
What the Future Has in Store
- Classics: The basic understanding of rhythm and composition, color and light, art history, and scientific and academic publications.
- Program know-how: The confident use of programs standard in the creative industry, such as Adobe InDesign, After Effects, Illustrator, and Photoshop.
- Learning: All students at BTK start with the same basics. That’s why courses for multidisciplinary work take place with the entire semester group from day one.
- Extras: As soon as the foundation has been laid, you can choose your own areas of focus.
A degree from BTK is the best start to a successful future: as a Web Designer, App Developer, Photographer, Illustrator, Moviemaker, or Graphics/Art Director, in advertising agencies, photo editing offices, and in the animated movie industry, at publishing houses, newspaper companies, in your own company, and many more. Our master’s degree program gives you additional qualifications for management positions or an academic career in the area of design.